jueves, 13 de enero de 2011

CTL3806 SCT the narrative of a learning incident

The following is actually one of my assignments for this week in the SCT course. The aim is to describe in the most possible detailed way a personal learning incident, i.e. a moment in which our mind learned something. The incident must restrict to second language learning. The narrative will be used as data to be analyzed and interpreted from SCT perspective.

I had trouble remembering a learning incident in detail. I tried to recall any passage of my student life when I learnt english, but I couldn't find a memorable moment. I think it might be due to the fact that I learnt English as a foreign language, which I believe it is a little different process form second language learning (SLL).

Generally in SLL we study a language in the classroom and after class, the outside world goes on in the target language. Whereas in foreign language learning (FLL) the world outside goes on in your native language. So classroom is generally the only context in which you use and need the target language.

Therefore I decided to look for an incident in the only context in which I actually had to learn a second language: On my time in Sverige (Sweden).

The story starts in 2006 in the city of Malmo, Sweden, during the very second week of August (summer) and this was the first day of the “Malmo festivalen” and at the same time, it was the last day of swedish classes.
I don’t remember very well what I did after classes, but at night, my friend and I headed to the festival. On our way to the concerts, there was a crafts fair, with jewelry shops, very beautiful.
My friend and I split inentendedly just looking at different things in the fair. It was dark already and all the lihgts were on, Malmo, and Sweden in general, is very bright at night, they have lights for everything, so the sight was beautiful, very engaging.
So delighted I was that I ended up alone looking at one silver bracelet hanging from a little wooden shelf of one of the jewelry stands/shops. I liked it, because, unlike everything else in Europe, this one looked smaller and very likely to fit my wrist. I reached out and touched it, looking for a price tag. I don’t remember the price, only that It was too expensive for my exchange undergraduate student budget.
While still holding it, I heard the clerk talking to a younger woman beside her. She didn’t seem to mind customers touching the items and she didn’t even looked at them, as we use to do in LatinAmerica, waiting for questions. She was rather indifferent... That was very hard to me, because I really wanted to practice my Swedish and expected the first turn in a conversation to come from native speakers, so I was waiting for her to ask me if I wanted to try the bracelet... unfortunately, she didn’t.
Therefore, I realized it was my task to start the conversation. First, I tried to remember a useful word... I remember the English expression excuse me and automatically, almost without noticing I uttered “ursakta!”,an expression we had learned in class. Then, I got her attention, but I didn’t know what else to say. It took me a few seconds during which I remember looking in my head for a verb that matched to try. I went over the verb list in my mind, almost reading it once again and I bumped into prova....
So I already had the key words of my sentence but I didn’t know how to put them together.
Suddenly, I noticed I was thinking in English, which is not my first language. As soon as I realized that, I got really nervous and felt I needed to hurry up, so I took the English sentence can I try this on? which help me remember the modal kan in Swedish, and then I just followed that structure to put the words together. Finally, I said “kan jag prova?
The clerk replied: ja, prova, prova!! And that phrase just took all the anxiety away. I succeeded in that short and first conversation in Swedish and has the chance to see how that bracelet looked on me.

4 comentarios:

  1. Owww, what a nice story! (BTW, they really didn't put any attention on you ?! That's so hard to believe...here in Chile if you touch and don't buy, you get the ugly looks of every seller on the stand, hahaha!).

    This assignment of yours made me think of a SLL experience too. But I think I haven't had any yet...the only semi-SSL experience I can think of happened a few weeks ago. After a talk I was giving at the University, a north-american professor (I was going to say american, but I know you hate it! Hahaha) started asking me some questions, so we started a conversation (in english, of course. That raises another question I know you also have. If when we go to EEUU or England WE have to know english, why don't they learn spanish when they come here? Well...). Suddenly, a (spanish) professor said goodbye to me in spanish: "Chao, nos vemos", and it took me a while to think a way to tell him to wait for me, because I wanted to ask him something. The word "Wait" just came out of my mouth, and it took me a few seconds to realize that I was actually trying to translate "Wait, do you have a minute?" from english back to spanish...

    ...I think it's amazing all this of mixing languages. Language is alive, and to let two of them live in you is just wonderful (even on language codes).

    Hugs and kisses Barbara! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. BTW I think I had other SSL experiences back in a Deutsch course I took. I remember that trying to remember the verbs was way easier if I related them to english words, because more than a half of the words are very similar. Wait! I just remembered a REAL AWESOME SSL experience!

    I remember that on that semester, my GF's parents went to Deutschland for a few weeks and when they came back, they came with a lot of presents and gadgets. One of the thigns they brought was an HD digital camera (totally new for the time I'm speaking of) for the family, but they had a huge trouble trying to charge it up, The reason? They didn't know, but I thought it was the different Voltage and Amperage that the adapter recieved and converted, so I tried to read the manual. I remember that I really had a hard time trying to translate Deutsch words to spanish, because as I told earlier I used english words to remember deutsch verbs...words as easy as "can" (english) and "kann" (deutsch), mean the same thing but it took me a while to translate them back to spanish! When I realized that I felt happy too...I think it was the first time I really knew I was starting to think in english, and it was beautiful :). Hahahha, well, that's it...

    ...initially I was going to tell you that maybe inserting people with languages they really don't know helps them to have a SLL experience. Maybe that can be used in class rooms in some way...I don't know. For instance, giving them something in a language they don't know and (like my experience with deutsch) giving them an english-(language they don't know) dictionary to read it.

    Just an idea! :)! I'm back to work now, take care and send my hugs and kisses to Ashurei and Iivari too! See yaaaaaa!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Wow...that's a really good idea....it might help promoting association and awareness indeed.

    And regarding your first comment....I always wonder why we have to learn THEIR language and they don't learn ours. XD

    ResponderEliminar
  4. It is hard to find a real learning incident, because is very difficult to establish "when you are learning" and "when you are just storing information" because it looks like those processes are very close. But I will choose as a learning incident when you use the second language without know the literal translation in your first language. This happens a lot in informatics because all the languages and labels are in English and for Spanish speakers, lots of times, you use the English as your language labeling tool, in other words, when you are starting in programming it is easy to know the function of the words, labels, "what they are for", but not always they are similar to the words in spanish (program=programa[easy], do (a) until (b) <> haz (a) hasta que (b)[no simple translation available XD]).

    So sometimes you are talking with classmates and the code switching is inevitable because you don't know the Spanish word to descrive a process, a function, a device, etc.

    In Chile, for example, all the people knows the "computador de pantalla tactil" as a tablet, and if you ask for a "computador de pantalla tactil" in a computer store, it will take a minute to them to get into know that you are talking about a tablet.

    Luv u.

    ResponderEliminar